4/14/13

Perfume Review: Arcana & Villainess


This was copied and pasted directly from my tumblr. Written circa December 2012.

image

Villainess Whipped (whipped body butter/lotion) in Dulces en Fuego: Feels like a thick whipped buttercream frosting and smells like spices and chocolate. Yum. Moisturizing but not greasy, sinks into skin quickly. Fancy packaging. I approve!

image

image

image

image

image

ARCANA PERFUMES
Descriptions taken from The Soap Box Co. (where I bought them).

Reign in Hell: Rich cocoa absolute, black tea, cassia cinnamon, blonde tobacco absolute, apricot, patchouli, and vanilla oleoresin.
On Skin: I get bitter cocoa, very faint cinnamon, and unidentified sweetness rounded out with something a little smokey and very smooth. Liquid is orange and contains black blobs (probably from the cocoa absolute). After drying down a bit, smells like something bitter and smooth with a touch of cinnamon on top and some sweetness. FAVORITE ONE!

Chicanery and Chimeras: The other side of the Knight of Cups. Delusions, hallucinations, phantasms, and nightmares. Empty blessings and beautiful curses. Rich benzoin over a base of Madagascar vanilla, golden amber, salt water, clove, sweet musk, pumpkin, patchouli, and sugarcane.
On Skin: Sweet tangerines (not oranges, but tangerines!), and then the same smell as dried mangoes (like the kind you can get from Costco). The perfume oil is orange and a bit sticky. Maybe from the pumpkin and sugarcane? For some reason the label says Chimeras and Chicanery. =.= Print fail?

Venous Return: The saline warmth of blood flowing back to the heart. Orange flower, bitter chocolate, dragons blood resin, red myrrh, musk, peppercorn, cassia, and iron-distilled patchouli.
On Skin: A bit of orange, some plastic, some rubber. Kinda metallic and reminds me of vomit as well. Wtf? I think I might sell this...

Alec D'Urberville: The profligate essence of an aristocratic libertine. Amber resin, charred Madagascar vanilla, French cognac, clove, sandalwood, and dark musk.
On skin: Heavily burnt rubber tires? Wtf? I think I might sell this...

image

image

OVERALL: Well, it seems I only fully like Reign in Hell, half-like Chicanery & Chimeras, feel iffy about Venous Return, and reject Alec D'Urberville.

My fault. I was ambivalent about buying Venous Return because it contains orange flower (and I dislike perfumes that contain any citruses and HATE perfumes that contain flowers), but I was hoping the other notes would overpower the orange flower. I guess it didn't and actually made it worse. Hahaha.
I took a leap of faith for Alec D'Urberville because after reading some reviews raving about Alec, I decided to try something new. NEVER AGAIN. I should've gotten Morphine (chocolate & patchouli) or Caffeinated Death (spicy chai boozy coffee) or something else that was more my style.

The Soap Box Co. ships very quickly using priority mail with a tracking number.

4/14/2013 Edit: I've sold off all of the Arcana perfumes except for Reign in Hell.

Villainess Whipped in "Dulces en Fuego" is extremely moisturizinging without being greasy. It's very strange. Sometimes it even makes me legs (where I usually apply it) feel tight like they're dry, but then I touch them and they're just silky smooth and moisturized. Odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! If you have any questions or comments, just go ahead and comment away. I'll get back to you within 1-3 days. :) Thanks for reading!