2/28/14

Perfume Review: Deep Midnight Perfumes

NOTE: Imported from my tumblr. Might be a little outdated. I've actually come back a few times since the writing of this and purchased full bottles from DM. :)

So after my bad rap on Deep Midnight, I decided to message the owner to see if there was anything she could do. I basically messaged her and told her that I was disappointed in all of the samples I got (too blunt?).

I wasn't really expecting any kind of response because perfume is perfume and shit like this happens all the time. You buy something and find out later you don't like it?---too bad! Suck it up, bitch! This is especially so with perfume purchases that are based simply on descriptions of the smell. You sometimes get lucky, you sometimes don't.

But! でも!!!

Cat, the owner/perfume creator of Deep Midnight, answered and offered to give me 10 new samples, free of cost, despite the fact that I'm pretty sure I offended her. Now THAT'S how you do customer service.
I told her what my tastes are (sweet, gourmand juxtaposed against woody, earthy, resinous smells. I actually like just gourmand scents too, but in moderation. I didn't tell her that part because I forgot to.), and then I asked her for her recommendations at the same time that I went to go find some new smells that intrigued me. I made a whole list of around 20 different scents on a word document, and within a day or two she got back to me with her list of 10 recommendations.

Well, what do you know? All of her recommendations were on my self-made list. Cool! I looked through her list and mine, and then I eliminated a couple that I didn't want as much and switched it to what I wanted instead. Then I asked her some questions about a few more to fill in the last couple of my list.

She answered my questions, and then another surprise: she offered to just send them all! Of course I said yes.

They were shipped on 3/1, and I received on 3/4.
image
image
image
image

Scents:
  1. Nivens - Sweet creamy pastries, cakes and sticky puddings, topped off with plump wild berries and a touch of spices and soft florals.
    My thoughts: I just softened creaminess with some pepper and a touch of something tart. Not really sweet, just kinda gentle and fluffy.
  2. Velvet Harlot - Black cherry, dark chocolate, rich vanilla, and a kiss of sangria tempt all you encounter.
    My thoughts: I'm getting a sharp cherry smell like maraschino cherries with a tiny touch of vanilla.
  3. Bella Donna Kiss - Egyptian amber, frankincense, warm vanilla and musk, all laced with roses, and finished with kisses of bergamot tea, and deep, lush berries.
    My thoughts: A "shower fresh" smell. Can't pick out the individual notes, but I get tart, soapy softness with some flowers.
  4. Catrianna's Cauldron - Sweet Sudanese frankincense, rare spices, a deep warm luscious vanilla, and pinch of sage, all topped off with a whiff of magic cauldron smoke.
    My thoughts: I guess I'm getting frankincense? I'm not exactly sure what that smells like, but I'm getting a deep, pungent, slightly tart smell that kinda reminds me of soap for men. I get some sage. No sweetness.
  5. Haunted Hayride -  Sweet pumpkins, roasted marshmallows, candycorn, soft notes of hay and leaves, sprinkled with warm spices, and tossed amongst base notes of rich vanilla and buttery Tunisian Frankincense.
    My thoughts: Hay and leaves. Not sweet but not sharp. I'm guessing all the sweet things are just keeping this from being too leafy. Very autumn.
  6. Sweet Calavera - Sweet sugars spun round with haunting Spanish moss, a very deep vanilla accord, drops of sensual patchouli, and background notes of fig, greens, and clove.
    My thoughts: I get a very tea-like floral smell that reminds me of fancy Italian or French soap. No sweetness.
  7. Dark Winter's Tale - Dark gingerbread, rich vanilla, molasses, cardamon, anise, and black pepper.
    My thoughts: A hint of unsweetened gingerbread and a lot of cardamom, anise, and pepper. No sweetness.
  8. Tara's Burning -  Ripe succulent peaches, aromatic magnolia blossoms, trailing vines and branches, a hint of smoky sweet copal, and touch of golden fruit.
    My thoughts: Tartness hovering around something floral and green. Very prominent green note. Smells like crushed green leaves or branches.
  9. Charis - Musk, dark sandalwood, and rich vanilla with the essence of vanilla bean added.
    My thoughts: Softened men's aftershave. No sweetness.
  10. Tea Room Cookie - Biscotti scented blend of Turkish coffee, vanilla, oatmeal, milk, honey, almond, and a sprinkle of chocolate.
    My thoughts: Bread and very faint coffee. It's kinda dusty and faint with no sweetness.
  11. Thalia - Raw honeycomb layered over succulent peaches, sweet gardenia, and a deep, rich myrrh.
    My thoughts: Rich honey with a floral touch.
  12. The Halfling's Party - Freshly buttered bread, harvest apples baked into a caramel tart, rum, red wine, and a light citrus with background notes of old polished wood, sweet tobacco leaf, and a dusting of oak wood roaring in a welcoming hearth.
    My thoughts: Buttered bread and tart apples with some tobacco leaf.
I liked:
  • The Halfling's Party
  • Thalia
  • Nivens
I'll reach for it often & finish the vial but probably won't repurchase (unless I change my mind later):
  • Tea Room Cookie
  • Tara's Burning
  • Dark Winter's Tale
It'll probably take me a while to finish, but I will use it (unless I decide to sell/swap it):
  • Charis
  • Sweet Calavera
  • Haunted Hayride
  • Catrianna's Cauldron
  • Bella Donna Kiss
  • Velvet Harlot
This batch was much more successful in that I didn't get the violent urge to watch my arms for any of them. They were all good enough to keep them on my skin. None of them had any strange rubbery/plasticky reactions either. For the most part all of them smelled the same in vial and on skin. Another plus. The rest is up to personal preference.

I think if over time I end up falling in love with any, I will come back to repurchase. For things that I'm not too impressed about initially (meh reaction, not good not bad), I find that I tend to like them better after letting them age for a while. Haha.

Very good experience with Deep Midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! If you have any questions or comments, just go ahead and comment away. I'll get back to you within 1-3 days. :) Thanks for reading!