2/28/14

Perfume Review: Sarawen Perfume Art

Bought - 2/11/13
Shipped - 2/15/13 (via Canada Post! :D)
Received - 2/25/13

SaraWen has perfumes inspired by various movies, shows, fantasy, gothic, and literary works. Some examples are Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Supernatural, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, etc. I've been eyeing the shop for a while because the overall aesthetics of it was very appealing to me. Sarawen has roller bottles, but they're being phased out because they were causing too many issues (the owner is replacing them with open mouth + cap bottles instead), and so to get them out of the shop faster and to get the funds to buy the new bottles faster, she put all of the old bottles on sale. Of course I had to snatch a couple up.

image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image

What I got ($26.04 CAD total):
  • Tea With Watson (full) - White tea, delicious yellow cake, and a dash of cream caramel layered over light tobacco and bay rum. It smells just like a tea party at Holmes and Watson’s flat!
  • The Witches Dance (full) - Sugared spices, rum, leather, earthy patchouli, champaka, earth, smoke, and a hint of fresh pumpkins.
  • Lady Roma (free sample) - The air is filled with the scent of pomegranate trees and ripe fruit, while sandalwood burns brightly in a brazier by the atrium.
  • Logical Delusion (free sample) - A dangerous and cunning blend of poisoned tea, tobacco, and gunpowder, with a hint of nag champa and absinthe. Beware, Holmes!
Tea With Watson is probably one of SaraWen's more popular scents. I've read about it on various blogs, and a lot of her Etsy feedback is also on Tea With Watson. So I got intrigued and wanted one.
*nudge nudge* Do you see anything special about "The Witches Dance"? The description reminds me of TMTM Horseman ("Fiery jack-o-lanterns, black leather boots, temple incense, and the edge of a dark Autumn wood; opens sweet, almost caramel-foody..."). WAHAHAHAHA. I swear, the majority of my perfume purchases are just vain attempts at trying to replace Horseman. I should stop being so shady and just cut out that compare-everything-to-TMTM attitude, but it was my first indie company, you know? Kinda like having that one ex-boyfriend that you use as a control for comparing. What. But my forever-ongoing-Horseman-search DID introduce me to new, amazing perfumes by shops that I now love.
For example:
  • Darling Clandestine (I've been back 3 times since the first order--4 orders total--and have smelled 18 different perfumes from DC. I have so much mad love for DC.)
  • Midnight Gypsy (I've placed 2 orders total and have smelled 18 different perfumes.)
Here are the shops that I also tried for that same reason (trying to find TMTM replacements). They failed and I probably won't come back because their selection is banal, they're too expensive, they're too slow, they feel like poor quality, or some combination of those reasons:
  • One Hand Washes The Other (OHWTO) - Too slow, smells are mediocre. Maybe if there is ever a sale and I'm really itching to buy something, then just maybe return. Maybe.
  • Steam Bath Factory - Too slow, smells are boring, shipping is too expensive.
  • Arcana - Packaging is nice and good quality, but smells are just okay. I haven't smelled one that has stopped me in my tracks yet. Also expensive and only available from 3rd party distributors.
  • Blooddrop - Smells are expensive, banal, and aren't long-lasting.  Shipping is expensive.
Which category will SaraWen fall into? HMMM???

The Witches Dance
I only get smoke and leather. Nothing else. A bit disappointed about that, but hey, maybe it's meant to be this way. However, if anyone's gonna make a smokey, earthy base, it's gotta match up to this; this is the smokey earthy base of all bases. I can see it being fantastic complimenting something sweet, so I'll try layering it with something sugary. I still have hope for it...

Tea With Watson
I get a blast of booze (probably the rum), and then once the booze disappears (after ~5 minutes), just light (sweet, but not heavy) sugar/caramel sprinkled on top of booze. It kinda reminds me of the way medicine is sometimes artificially flavored to be sweet... A little bit linear, but not bad. The booze note is pretty realistic since I got the usual reaction when I smelled it (I've been sensitive to alcohol lately---too many wild nights in a short period of time---and so these days whenever I smell alcohol, I get a little queasy). xD

Lady Roma
I smell berries, and unidentifiable fruits, fresh greens, and soft woods. It smells like a fresher, less heavy version of TMTM's Cleo before it dries down, but after it has soaked in for more than an hour, I get really heavy woodiness. Unexpected dupe of Cleo! I think it smells better than Cleo though!

Logical Delusion
Manly and fresh, like aftershave. I didn't try this on my skin because I was lazy... xD


Soooo. The Witches Dance didn't match Horseman (I should just stop trying to find a replacement for Horseman. I'm beginning to give up hope on it anyway. Once that vial is finished, no more Horseman for me...), but accidentally matched Cleo with the free sample. I would still come back because the themes and bottles are so cute! I also want to try other scents from the line.
*Note: Actually, a day after writing the above (I wrote it yesterday, so I'm talking about today), I went back to Sarawen and bought FOUR bottles. *shot*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! If you have any questions or comments, just go ahead and comment away. I'll get back to you within 1-3 days. :) Thanks for reading!