3/28/14

Perfume Review: The Halfling's Party by Deep Midnight Perfumes

Bought - 3/17/2013
Shipped - 3/19/2013
Received - 3/21/2013
THE HALFLING'S PARTY
Freshly buttered bread, harvest apples baked into a caramel tart, rum, red wine, and a light citrus with background notes of old polished wood, sweet tobacco leaf, and a dusting of oak wood roaring in a welcoming hearth.
image

Despite that whole ordeal with my not being that much wowed with the majority of the Deep Midnight samples I got (in my original order and in the second batch that the owner sent to me for free; ***Note: I wrote a series of posts that involves revisiting the Deep Midnight scents that I have), I came back to order again. Why? Because even though many of the scents just weren't for me, the one that DID appeal to me was fucking out-of-this-world-amazing. That one is The Halfling's Party.

If I could roll around it in and bathe in it for 8 hours a day, I would. If I had the money to buy all of her current stock of The Halfling's Party, I would.

image

My thoughts on The Halfling's Party:
Previously, I wrote "Buttered bread and tart apples with some tobacco leaf." However, after using it continuously for a week, it's a little bit different from my initial thoughts.

On application, I get a small burst of mostly bread with a tiny bit of butter layered on top of an enormous heap of fragrant tobacco. The tobacco is kinda earthy, leafy, and sweet all at once. I used to stick my nose into my dad's cigarette packs because I liked the smell of tobacco leaf, and this reminds me of that except much richer and deeper, like tobacco that isn't completely dried and rolled up yet. Maybe pipe tobacco or chewing tobacco? (I don't know because I've never smelled those.) There's also something a little sharp and bright in there, but I'm not sure what it is (the wine? the citrus? the wood?).

Anyway, this tobacco and bread smell is very strong even after it sinks into my skin, and then it mellows out a bit to be the same smell but a little softer and more comforting. On the dry down, it smells like bread and caramel. It's not a super rich, in your face TASTE-ME-I'M-DELICIOUS-NOM-NOM sweet caramel. It's just a subtle one that just smells fucking good. I only noticed the drydown yesterday when I was laying on my side with my head propped up by my hand, and I smelled something so good, comforting, and yummy. Sure enough, it was coming from my wrist.

image

I'm not sure how the hell I got apples and only SOME tobacco last time because after using it for a while, I find that it's mainly tobacco and no apple at all. However, when I tried it for the first time, I was also on my period, and I noticed that not only do my tastes change when I'm menstruating, but the way things smell on my skin also changes. Now that I'm hormonally stable and not shedding uterine lining, I'm getting a different effect from The Halfling's Party. Either way, I love it.

Needless to say, The Halfling's Party has joined my list of favorite perfumes. I sometimes get the feeling that people probably think I'm some hardcore tobacco user when I wear this, but I like it too much to care.
If you like the idea of a cozy, comforting tobacco smell, then this will be awesome for you.

image

I also got a free sample of Naenia.

NAENIA
A sexy, sultry blend of: Ripe apricots, carnations, sweet magnolia blossoms, dark honey, white peaches, with bits of tart cranberries, wood, and black pepper rounding out the main notes of the scent. Definitely sexy and exotic and a teensy bit dark. Opens with notes of the fruits and honey and then dries down to a deeper, sweet floral with wood notes. Come fly away with her!

My thoughts: I get nice, sweet peaches with a touch of floral. I don't get any darkness from this. It's sweet, light, bright, and fruity. I LIKE IT. I'm quite fond of the smell of peaches. Haha. It smells similar to Thalia (also from DM) but without the beeswax touch. This makes me think that I smell like Misao from Black Bird (short summary is that the manga has a girl who is the reincarnation of the immortality peach in Chinese mythology, so she always smells like peaches and she attracts hot-ass demon boys). A win in my book. ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! If you have any questions or comments, just go ahead and comment away. I'll get back to you within 1-3 days. :) Thanks for reading!