4/21/14

Makeup Review: Siren Cosmetics

I discovered Siren Cosmetics through the awesome people of /r/Indiemakeupandmore. I really need to stop going to that subreddit because all of the threads there are influencing me to spend wayyyyy more than I should be spending right now. D:

Anyway, Siren Cosmetics carries sample bags for $0.50 and full sized, 10g jars for $7. I was originally not interested at all in this shop, but after seeing this post from Lipstick & Librairies and the awesome swatch of Teenage Kicks, I thought WELLLLLLL LET'S GO SPEND SOME MONEY.

Tons of photos after the cut!


Bought - 4/11/2014
Shipped - 4/15/2014
Received - 4/17/2014

A 4-day turn around time! Very nice.

I bought:

-8 samples of Claudia
-8 samples of Sunset
-1 sample of Shut it Down
-1 full-sized jar of Teenage Kicks

For a total of $19.16 after shipping was calculated into the price. I also received a free samples in Sinister Kid and Hurt.

Siren Cosmetics

Siren Cosmetics

Siren Cosmetics. Size of a sample bag.
I bought so many samples so that I could spend less money and also have enough to put in a jar. Lol.

On to the swatches!

As usual, all swatches were done using a $1 ELF brush, patted and swept over Darling Girl's Primped & Primed Primer on the upper half of my arm and bare skin as the lower half of my arm. Photos were taken by a window with natural lighting and slightly color-corrected afterwards using Photoshop.

Siren Cosmetics, L to R: Sunset, Shut it Down, Claudia, Teenage Kicks, Sinister Kid, Hurt

Siren Cosmetics, L to R: Sunset, Shut it Down, Claudia, Teenage Kicks, Sinister Kid, Hurt

Siren Cosmetics, L to R: Sunset, Shut it Down, Claudia, Teenage Kicks, Sinister Kid, Hurt

Siren Cosmetics, bottom L to upper R: Sunset, Shut it Down, Claudia, Teenage Kicks, Sinister Kid, Hurt

Siren Cosmetics, L to R: Sunset, Shut it Down, Claudia, Teenage Kicks, Sinister Kid, Hurt

Siren Cosmetics, L to R: Claudia, Teenage Kicks, Sinister Kid, Hurt

Siren Cosmetics, L to R: Teenage Kicks, Sinister Kid, Hurt

A few things to note:
  • These are marketed as pigments and NOT eyeshadows, as seen on the Siren website.
  • All of these pigments are extremely powdery and have a ton of flyaway/fallout, even with careful tapping of the brush and whatnot, hence the messy swatches.
  • The pigments with a matte base (Sunset, Shut it Down, Teenage Kicks) get very streaky and blotchy with AND without primer (although primer does help a bit) and have to be carefully patted. You can see in the photos that Teenage Kicks is patchy on the bottom half of the swatch.
  • Pigments with glitter (Sunset, Shut it Down, Teenage Kicks) will need some kind of sticky base or glitter adhesive to get the glitter to stick. The glitter from Teenage Kicks was sadly being pushed around on the surface of my bare skin when I tried to pat it on. Glitter from Sunset and Shut it Down fell off almost completely.
  • Shut it Down is a pain in the ass to deal with. Streaky, patchy, and the glitter DOES NOT STICK no matter what I do.

Anyway, with that said, here's another photo of Teenage Kicks because it looks like a fricken galaxy smashed into a pigment.

Super high-res photo of Teenage Kicks.

And finally, here are some comparisons of Teenage Kicks to other sparkly black eyeshadows that I have, Notoriously Morbid's 13 Black Rainbows and Fyrinnae's Immortality.

Notoriously Morbid "13 Black Rainbows" is described as "A black matte with a crap load of rainbow glitter."

Fyrinnae "Immortality" is described as "A rainbow of sparkle in soft black."

Siren Cosmetics "Teenage Kicks" is described as "Insanely sparkly glitter pigment. Teenage kicks is a blend of pitch black pigment and copper & blue cosmetic glitter."

The far left swatch is of Teenage Kicks using just my finger, swiped onto bare skin. The rest are done half on DGC Primped & Primed and half over bare skin.

L to R: Teenage Kicks swatched with my finger on bare skin, Teenage Kicks, 13 Black Rainbows, Immortality




Line is drawn to show where the primer ends and bare skin begins.

IMMORTALITY LOOKS SO SAD. D:

Anyway, overall, this shop has a nice selection of very pigmented pigments and a fast TAT. However, due to the patchiness and powdery/flyaway nature of most of the pigments, application is not fun, blending wouldn't be easy, and overall use of these pigments is kind of messy. Both pigmentation and texture/formula are very important to me when it comes to buying and using pigments/eyeshadows, and although Siren Cosmetics excels in the former, it kind of falls flat on the latter. These pigments would definitely work better foiled or with some kind of mixing medium, but I'm lazy when it comes to makeup and would rather avoid those kinds of methods (I don't think I should have to go to great lengths to make something work when I'm just trying to have fun and do a look).

For the most part, I've already gotten everything that I wanted from this shop (Teenage Kicks, Claudia, and Sunset), so for now, I will say I will not return.



1 comment:

  1. I had the same problem with the matte bases! The frosty ones were by far the easiest to work with, but I found the glitters to go on really well with a wet brush. However, I will put up with any amount of suffering for Teenage Kicks. It's just... it's so friggin pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! If you have any questions or comments, just go ahead and comment away. I'll get back to you within 1-3 days. :) Thanks for reading!