4/11/14

Pressing Fyrinnae Shadows and Short Review on Book of Shadows

After seeing a ton of pressed eyeshadow pr0nz everywhere, I got the pressing itch and decided to press my Fyrinnae shadows.

I PRESSED SOME OF MY FYRINNAE SHADOWS


SO PRETTAY


I noticed that no matter how fucking gorgeous some of my indie shadows are, I always bypass them in favor of crappy quads from Maybelline or Rimmel.

WHY?

Because pressed quads and palettes are so much easier to handle when I'm in a rush in the morning. I spilled my Fyrinnae Velvet Vampire jar before from knocking things over in a rush. True fact: I cried.

I formerly neglected these beauties because they were loose. LOL.

HOW DID I EVER FORGET ABOUT YOU


I'll never neglect you again. Please forgive me.

Anyway, I bought my pans, pressing tiles, and tamping thing from TKB Trading. I bought the small rectangle pans (27mm x 13mm). I bought the pack, which contains the pressing tiles, tamper, and 9 pans, and two packs of 25 tiles.

Using this tutorial and this tutorial for my main references on how much binding agent and alcohol I should use and many others across the web for ideas on binding agents, I went to town with my shadows. My Fyrinnae shadows were bought BEFORE the new formulation with the clumpy balls.

I was going to buy glycerin, but I didn't want to walk to the drugstore so I intended to buy TKB's pressing medium instead. However, I noticed something. Looking at the ingredients of TKB's pressing medium (Isopropyl Myristate, Dimethicone, Bis-Vinyl Dimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer) and the ingredients of TheBodyNeeds pressing medium (Isopropyl Alcohol, Organic Jojoba Oil, Dimethicone) and also noting what Fyrinnae said about the new formula:
Addition of very little amounts of Cyclopentasiloxane, also known as cyclomethicone, and Isododecane, a safe solvent/emollient commonly used in cosmetics. Both help products adhere to skin and give more even coverage and ease of application and blending. They also make dry powders stick together and ball up a little, which you may notice in the jar.
It seemed like the common factor between all of those things was some kind of silicone (in TKB and TBN, dimethicone. In Fyrinnae, cyclopentasiloxane). Immediately, I remembered that I have a product that contains both dimethicone and cyclopentasiloxane...

MY BOTTLE OF LUBE. Cough cough.

It's called Wet Platinum Premium Silicone Lube, and it is made up of Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone.

Yes, I really did press my eyeshadows using lube. HAHAHA.

Simple Steps for Anyone Who Wants to Try It:

  1. Put 3-4 drops of lube per 1/4 teaspoon of shadow.
  2. Mix up evenly using a toothpick, "cutting" the lube into the shadow like butter into flour.
  3. Slowly wet with alcohol, drop by drop and with mixing in between, until it becomes one cohesive ball.
  4. Scoop up with toothpick and place into pan. Smoosh into the pan.
  5. Drop the pan onto the table a few times to even it out.
  6. Let sit for one hour, then press with a paper towel between the tamper and the shadow until no more liquid comes out.
I then bought a couple of magnetic, empty palettes from ebay, but they were shitty as fuck so I bought a palette from Book of Shadows on Etsy instead. And goddamn, best empty palette ever. It's sturdy and GORGEOUS.

Book of Shadows Palette

Book of Shadows Palette. UNLOCK THE IMAGINATION.

Book of Shadows Palette. SO FUCKING GORGEOUS.

Book of Shadows Palette. STURDY AS HELL AND NICELY MADE WITH CARE.

Book of Shadows Palette. EVEN THE INSIDE IS BEAUTIFUL.

Book of Shadows Palette. I CAN FIT UP TO 38 OF THESE PANS.

Book of Shadows Palette. It's like a gorgeous hardcover book, but then you open and it contains eyeshadows.
HENCE BOOK OF SHADOWS.

Book of Shadows Palette. Size comparison.

Book of Shadows Palette. Size comparison.

Book of Shadows Palette. Last shot of these pretties.

Anyway, here's a summary of this post and what I learned.
  • Pressing is pretty easy and really fun.
  • Pressed shadows get more use; If I use my stuff, the purchase is more justified.
  • Book of Shadows makes some bombass palettes.
Thanks for reading! I'll be posting up swatches next time.

1 comment:

  1. hi,
    Is the newer version of the Fyrinnae's loose shadows better than the older ones?

    ReplyDelete

Hello! If you have any questions or comments, just go ahead and comment away. I'll get back to you within 1-3 days. :) Thanks for reading!